Coupler Upgrade

by Ivan Hamilton 3/31/2009 7:49:00 PM

I was keen to attach my home brew servo motors and see the mill move. The shaft on the mill's screws is 17mm, whilst the motor's 12mm shafts are designed for a small chain gear (small section of keyed  shaft and a left hand thread), and I needed to grasp below this.

Since I'm coupling the motor directly to the shaft, a figured a coupler with a little flex was in order. My immediate solution was some vinyl hose and a pair of hose clamps. Affixing and tightening the coupler was tricky. The uneven shaft sizes (17mm & 12mm) made it difficult, and I destroyed several hose clamps trying to get it tight enough. That would work for a little while, but it wasn't able to handle the torque and would eventually twist in the middle. I added some support in the middle with a section of hard plastic tube to help prevent this.

But the length of the vinyl tube was too great, and its twisting added extra backlash to the system. Not only that, the backlash amount was unpredictable, increasing during use as the vinyl warmed up. It was always meant to be an interim solution, and the purchase of a 1m length of Ø40mm acetal rod ($55AUD) was the start of something better.

Technically, this was my first CNC machining experience. It was only 2 axes, and involved numerous manual interventions, but to see it moving automatically to perform the desired machining operation was very rewarding.

I've already made two couplers (X & Y), and shortly will make a third to automate the quill (Z). With that, I'll have full 3 axis control and should only need to stop for tool/fixture changes.

Currently rated 1.5 by 150 people

• Currently 1.476735/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Tags:

CNC | Mechanics

Related posts

Comments

9/16/2009 2:32:09 AM

what an amazing post that I have ever come through. It gives the information that I was really searching for the past week and I am really satisfied with this post. Need more like this. Thank you.

reborns dolls

9/30/2009 12:44:47 AM

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.

Women Seeking Men

11/8/2009 10:09:11 AM

Amazing! Not clear for me, how often you updating your site?

iGoogle Search Engine

11/27/2009 1:26:38 AM

Thanks for supporting this idea as it gives answers to all possible questions.

flash development

12/22/2009 11:58:41 AM

You know, This is a rad web-site. Authentic remarks as well. Thanks!
</br>
</br>
</br>

Danille Dirks

biuquote

Powered by BlogEngine.NET 1.3.1.30
Original theme by Mads Kristensen

About the author

Name of author Ivan Hamilton
"My inner nerd can beat up your inner nerd."

E-mail me Send mail

Adsense

Calendar

<<  October 2017  >>
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345

View posts in large calendar